Sensory toys are perfect for child development and learning through play.
Sensory play is key to learning and supports focus, creativity and self-worth. The right sensory toys can promote physical and cognitive development, encouraging language, social and emotional skills.
What are Sensory Toys?
Sensory toys encourage play that engages one, two or all of our senses; sight, touch, smell, taste, hearing and movement and balance. Sensory toys give opportunities to build skills like problem solving, sharing, exploring, independence and expression.
Why are Sensory Toys important?
- Encourages ‘scientific thinking’ and problem solving.
- Builds trust and emotional connections, to enhance communication.
- Supports regulation and can provide calming and soothing for a child.
- Fosters and supports critical brain development.
- Encourages the development of gross and fine motor skills.
- Critical in a child's overall play development.
They can be broadly categorised as -