This Rekenrek Counting Frame features two rows of two different coloured plastic beads that easily slide back and forth on metal rods. A Rekenrek is an arithmetic frame designed to help children visualize addition and subtraction strategies. Children focus their learning on groups of 5 or groups of 10 up to 100. Rekenreks are ideal for building number sense. They provide children with a concrete, physical object to help develop and deepen their understanding of numbers. Children build a strong sense of 5 and 10, learning about the relationships among numbers and operations along the way. Also referred to as 'Math Rack' and 'Rekenrek Abacus
To begin, hold Rekenrek such that the red beads are on the left and white beads are on the right (remember: 'white is right'). Place all beads on the right side. Then move beads to left as required. For example, for number 4, you will move 4 red beads on the top row to the left.
- Use them to teach basic counting
- Use them to teach subitizing (e.g. 8 = set of 5 + 3, rather than counting 8 individually)
- For addition, e.g. 11 = entire row of 10 and 1 more
- For subtraction, e.g. 8 = entire row of 10 and 2 less
- Use one row to build fluency till ten (composing & decomposing numbers till ten)
- Use both rows to build fluency till twenty (composing & decomposing numbers till twenty)
AGE :¬†3 years+
CONTAINS :¬†Plastic frame with two rows of 10 beads each, with each row comprising 5 red and 5 white beads. (Total 20 beads in the frame)
DIMENSIONS :¬†25cm x 7cm x 7cm (LxWxH)
MATERIAL :¬†¬†Plastic Frame, Plastic Beads on metal rods. No sharp edges, no choking hazard.
CARE :¬†May be wiped with moist cloth. No Choking Hazard.